Monday, September 27, 2010

Lots of food, little time...

So sorry that I have been a bad blogger lately. Several of you have called me out for not updating in a while! While I am sorry that I haven't blogged in a while...it is at least nice to know that people do actually read this and miss when I don't update it...ha ha!

It isn't that I haven't had things to blog about...it is just that I haven't had much time. As you all know, I have had 2 work colleagues in town for over a week now and our schedules have been jam packed. Unfortunately, since our fun first weekend, I don't have any pictures to show for it, but figured a blog update was still needed.

The time since my work colleagues have been here has consisted of lots of meetings with some of our outside vendors and partners...and that resulted in probably one of the most amazing weeks of eating I have ever had, ha! I have had everything from awesome fish and chips to the best calamari I have ever had...veal ragu at an amazing and adorable Italian restaurant...scallops with bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes...pineapple and coconut danish and almond croissants...wine, wine, wine and more wine!

We had the fanciest business lunch I have ever had when we went for a lunch meeting with our partners at PriceWaterhouseCoopers. Our meeting and lunch was at their office and this office was unbelieveable. It had coffee shops and a few stores in the bottom level and I even saw a hair salon and spa! The offices were gorgeous and overlooked the beautiful Darling Harbour in Sydney. We had a one hour meeting and then continued our meeting over lunch in a separate room. Started off with a waiter offering us sparkling water and juice drinks and then I knew I was in for a real treat when they served us wine with our business lunch! We had an amazing steak and risotto and a wonderful cheesecake with berries for dessert. Then, they served us fancy coffees (all of the coffees here are pretty fancy) and a little plate of chocolates. And then we had to go back to real work...seriously?!

The other meal that I have to call out specifically was when our external Immigration Attorney took the 3 of us out to dinner. We went to a very fancy restaurant and had the best time! It was one of those places where there is a fixed price for 3 courses and you just pick one from each course. For those of you that watch Top Chef...I felt much more knowledgeable about the menu because I have watched that show...and I have only watched one season! I was so impressed with this menu that I had to take note of exactly what I had. We started off with a shot of asparagus 'vollute'...again, wouldn't have known that this basically meant 'soup' had I not watched Top Chef. My first course was sauted scallops with confit pork cheek schnitzel, sherry vinegar and apple jus...wow! My main course and their most popular dish was slow cooked shoulder of lamb with pea and mint risotto, carmelized garlic and honey puree. And, my dessert was their special of the night and was some sort of chocolate heaven rolled in hazelnuts...with some ice cream...I don't really remember, but it was amazing. Overall, probably the best meal I have ever had!

Friday night in Sydney was very fun...I was finally invited to go out and party with the cool kids in the office! We had a great time...and I paid for it the next day! I do feel like I have hopefully found a crowd that I can hang out with now though, so that feels good.

On Sunday, I headed to Melbourne, Australia for a few days with one of the work colleagues. Melbourne seems like a great city, although I haven't seen tons of it yet. Definitely more of a fashion and arts district and lots of great restaurants here too. The office here in Melbourne is right in the middle of all of the high fashion...literally, there is a Gucci store on one side of our office building and a Louis Vuitton store on the next corner...wow! The architecture is very Victorian and just adorable. I think Meagan and I are going to take a long lunch tomorrow to go do a little more shopping and I will try to take a few pictures, although I know the pictures won't even do it justice!

While I do like Melbourne and it has been wonderful having my work colleagues here for a week and a half...I am somewhat ready to get back to my little routine in Sydney. It has been a great week of indulging, but I am afraid all of my walking around these cities isn't quite paying off for all of the great food and wine this last week and a half! Cheers to one more day of indulging and then only two more days of normal Sydney routine until I head HOME to meet my beautiful neice and see all of my friends and family...can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment