Wednesday, September 8, 2010

All you have to do is ask...

So, apparently, I just needed to ask people to hang out with me! I have been a little surprised that no one in the office has been like...hey, let me take you out and show you around. This week, we have an associate from our learning organization in KC here for a business trip (and to interview for a position here!), so I offered to meet her at the hotel and walk her over to the office, show her around, etc. We made plans to go out to dinner tonight and then I mentioned to one of the guys in the office that we should try to get a few people together for dinner either tomorrow or Friday to take her out. Before I know it, we have plans for 10-15 people to go out to a fun dinner in the city on Friday night...all to welcome Julia on her visit here! While I am excited about this and glad that I said something to someone...I am kinda like, hey, wait, where was my 'let's welcome Rebecca to Sydney' dinner out?! I think the answer is that people are a bit scared of me... I know you all will laugh at that and wonder how anyone could be scared of me, but here, they just see me as 'HR' and as someone that they have to be careful around. I am also dealing with the fact that their previous HR Partner was very strict and a by the rules HR person. So, hopefully, the more they hang out with me, they will see that they don't have to be so careful around me and that I am actually a fun person! It is definitely an interesting spot to be in...

The dinner that Julia and I had tonight was fabulous though! We went to a restaurant called 'Ripples'. Can you guess where it was? Right on the water! I got their special menu item for tonight...it was a tempura'd soft shell crab with an asian-inspired sauce on the side, as well as some rice and asian salad. YUM!!! I was so sad because I was even going to take a picture of it and a picture of Julia and I at dinner, but when I pulled out my camera, the battery had run out, ugh. So, just trust me that the dinner was wonderful and the view was unreal!

I am anxious to go into the city on Friday night for dinner...we will go somewhere in a fun, young, hip area called Surry Hills...so I will be sure to post again after that!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rebecca,

    Cary & I have enjoyed reading your blog. We just got caught up on your stories tonight sitting in the rain in KC! It sounds like you are having a great time! So jealous! Those views are amazing. Continue to keep us up to date on life down under! I'm sure it's been crazy learning a new culture half way around the world but it sounds beautiful and I have a feeling once it's time to leave it will be tough. We looked at the average temperatures there and it looks great year-around. We're jealous as we're getting ready to head into winter. You will get to miss almost all winter. I chuckled when you said they're afraid of you but I understand the HR aspect. However, I have a feeling you'll win them over and make some great friends. Keep up the posts and pictures. Cary & I enjoy following your journey. Love you & see you soon!

    Molly & Cary

    ReplyDelete