Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood...

I woke up this morning with some pangs of homesickness. I usually start off my weekends cuddling with my big doggie, Evie and at some point in the weekend, I usually get to see my favorite little boy...Luke, of course! So, I was feeling a little down and got off to a slow start this morning.

While I certainly do miss Evie and Luke and all of my family and friends...it was hard not to fall a little bit in love with this city today!

The bay and harbour were bustling this morning! All sorts of boat activity going on...ferries, sailboats, little boats, yachts and lots of other kinds that I don't even know what they were. Also, I have views of this adorable little amusement park called Luna Park from my balcony and it was bustling with activity this morning also (and last night, ha!). I could see a little soccer practice going on in a park down below and people walking all over. It was almost hard to leave the apartment because I was having so much fun watching everything! (Sidenote: I am dying to be able to post more pics, but I don't have my box yet. Here is a pic that I took from my balcony with my phone though. See the cute little Luna Park?! The pic at the top of the blog was just one that I found online, but it was obviously taken from somewhere very near my apartment!)


But, I finally did get out and about. I had wanted to stop by a 'market' that I had seen advertised in that little village that I shopped in the first day. When I got out to my street, to my surprise, the market was right there! And man, this thing was so cool! It seemed like mostly clothing booths at first, but finally I saw more home goods, shoes and then...food! There were so many food boothes that looked awesome, but I almost teared up when I saw a booth featuring quesadillas! And these were real, authentic quesadillas, served with a little bit of sour cream and salsa! You better bet I got one of those and it was yummy! I also bought a cute little candle and a little bowl for my apartment. It was a good thing that I wasn't really in a shopping mood or I could have done some serious damage. They have this market every 4th Saturday...I already can't wait to go back!

I then walked back up to an indoor shopping area right by work to go to a bigger supermarket there. In the little markets that I had been to, I thought it was a little odd that none of them seemed to have any meat. I went to lunch with a girl from work on Friday and she was talking about how she always has chicken. I finally said...ok, I can't seem to find chicken in any of the markets, so where do you buy chicken. She kind of laughed and said...oh, the chicken shop (in an accent, of course!). Ahh, a chicken shop...ok?! So, in this indoor shopping area, they basically have different counters (shops) that you can go up to order your meats. These are outside of the supermarket though...they just stand on their own. So, I checked them all out today and now I know how to buy my meat/seafood! I got more groceries and finally paid for some hangers (think I am almost set on hangers now!) and headed back home.

It was a gorgeous day here today...sunny and maybe low 70's...although I really have no idea what the temp was because everything is in Celsius here! Anyway, it was beautiful and the sun was on my balcony when I got back. I finally got to sit outside for a bit in the sun to read...felt great!

I then headed around the bay to an area that I had visited the last time I was here that is well known for this one street of shops and restaurants. I made a few other small purchases and then got some thai 'take-away' for dinner.

I am tired after all of my walking today, but all in all it was a beautiful day in the neighbourhood!

2 comments:

  1. Bec! This is sooo exciting for you, I'm enjoying your novel length posts sister! It makes me feel like I'm talking to you. Can't wait to see more photos, your view is wonderful. I'm picturing your walk to work city-girl! Jealous! Enjoy every second, it will go by so quickly. Love you and I'm listening! Slaughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you and your jumping right in to the incredible Sydney life! We miss you too, but I promise that the experiences you are already having are way more cool than anything we are doing back here! Love you!

    ReplyDelete