Friday, December 3, 2010

Thanksgiving

It is really amazing to me that Thanksgiving can be pretty much the same, no matter where you are in the world and who you are celebrating with. Although on the actual 4th Thursday of the month, I was in Kuala Lumpur for work and the only somewhat holiday-ish thing I did was sit in a Starbucks in the airport to enjoy a peppermint mocha and listen to the Christmas songs that they were playing, I was still able to enjoy a Thanksgiving in a different, but surprisingly comfortable way.

On Saturday afternoon, I went over to the apartment of my work friends, Sarah and Jeremy. Another American in the office, Yvelle, joined us. I took over my few cute Fall decorations that my mom had mailed to me and Sarah had a few Fall-ish candles, so the apartment looked the part. Most people know that my mom is an absolutely amazing cook, so I certainly missed her Thanksgiving meal...and all of the fun that we always share during the prep of the big meal! However, I must admit...we were able to pull off a really awesome Thanksgiving meal here in Sydney! We didn't actually have turkey, we had roast chickens instead...we did have almost everything else...mashed potatoes, corn bread stuffing, green bean casserole, collard greens, candied yams, corn, deviled eggs. The only thing that was really different was that we didn't have a pie or anything pumpkin flavored for dessert...but we did have a red velvet cake, which is one of my favorites, so was ok by me!

Again, it was just amazing to me that we can make the same kinds of food, fill our plates to the brim like normal, get stuffed with all the great food and wine, have great conversation...all while being half-way around the world from America. I was truly thankful this year for all of my friends and family, and for my amazing job that has given me this opportunity to live in Australia for 6 months! Happy Thanksgiving...and here are some pictures of my fun night!







































































No comments:

Post a Comment