Sunday, January 23, 2011

Time is ticking...

Had another great week in Sydney this week, but the time is definitely starting to tick away. The new HR Partner that I hired has been in training for 2 weeks in KC and will start in the office with me on Monday, so this truly does kick off my official count-down...less than 5 weeks. I have some mixed emotions about that, so we won't discuss now...lots more fun to be had in my remaining time here!

My week started off great because they replayed the Golden Globe awards show here on Monday night. I love awards show season, so was happy to get to see the show in its entirety!

I headed out to dinner in a new area with my friends, Lisa and Luke, on Tuesday night. We went to a great water-front restaurant at Balmoral Beach. Balmoral was a really cute area with some gorgeous homes leading down these windy roads to a quiet and small beach area. I got there a few minutes before Lisa and Luke, so took a few pictures of the beach (and the rather attractive Aussies playing rugby on the beach!)...
















This beach was almost directly across from the big opening in the harbour out to the great wide ocean...here you can see 2 of the Manly ferries passing the opening in the distance...















Our restaurant was called Bather's Pavilion and was right on the water...every table has a water view. One side is a very fancy restaurant and one side is what they called a cafe...what I called just a little less fancy! Very worth it though...we had a great meal, great wine and great conversation!















The rest of the week was pretty nornal...filled with lots of good coffee runs and lunches with friends in the office and nice walks and jogs outside at night.

On Saturday, I had a markets day with my work friends, Sarah and Jeremy. We headed to the markets at an area that none of us had been to yet...Balmain. I headed over there on the ferry (had to literally run at full speed to catch the ferry, ha!) and then took a nice 15 minute walk up from the ferry through Balmain to the markets. What a cute area! Lots of great architecture and adorable homes in Balmain. The market was a little smaller than we were expecting, but we had fun walking around their main street and going in and out of stores along there. We also had to stop at a very famous patisserie. They are well-known for their little cakes and this place gets lines out the door. We went there early and they suggested that we pick something out and pay for it then and come back to pick it up later when we were done shopping. I was so overwhelmed at the selection, but felt a little rushed to pick something out. I went with something much more chocolate-y than I typically get...




















It was like a double shot-glass size and was filled with different chocolate mousses and chocolate pieces and the middle layer was even liquid! All of it was made with milo, a chocolate that the guy in the store says they don't have much of in the US, but is something that all kids here grew up with! I enjoyed it after dinner on Saturday night and umm, yum!!

After Balmain, we headed back to my part of town because Sarah and Jeremy had never been to the markets right by me. We had a great time looking around there and stopped for a bite of lunch. Was a lovely Saturday at the markets!

I had a relaxing Sunday today in preparation for what will be a wild week here. Lots of fun plans, so lots of fun blog posts to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment