Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Aussie traditions

On Monday night, I headed out for a traditional Aussie dinner with some work friends. The Lord Nelson is a pub in The Rocks that is very well-known for their Australian Meat Pies and they have them at a special price on Monday nights...only $7 for the meat pie! The Lord Nelson is also a brewery, so they have awesome beer too! A pile of mashed potatos, meat pie, smashed peas, brown gravy, a Quayle Ale...and then a nice walk home across the bridge after all of that heavy food...not bad for a Monday night!















Dad, sorry that we didn't find this place when you were here...you would have loved it! And Matt, you would have been in heaven reading about all of the different beers!

And now, I have a confession to make...I think I like Vegemite?!?!?! The new HR Partner started in the office on Monday morning and we went out to get coffee shortly after she arrived in the office. She hadn't eaten breakfast yet, so she got some toast and vegemite with her coffee (she is a true Aussie). She got 4 big pieces, so offered me a piece and I don't know what came over me, but I tried it. And I liked it! The way they eat it here is much more appealing than the previous time I had tried it...a piece of hot toast, dripping in butter, with just a very thin layer of vegemite on top of the butter. Really not bad...like, I may even order it for myself sometime! What is happening to me...5 months in and I am starting to pick up some real Aussie things!!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Well, there is a jar of Vegemite with your name on it here! You are more than welcome to it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck! Vegemite! I tried it at Allison's party for you, and it was gross. And you know me, I like all food. Maybe you are becoming an Aussie! The meat pie sounds delish though, and so does the beer!

    ReplyDelete