Thursday, November 11, 2010

Care packages, new friends and upcoming business trip...

It has been a good week in Sydney...well, despite a few more days of rain. I have to say a big THANK YOU to friends and family for the cards and care packages that I have been getting!!! You all have no idea what it means to get sweet notes, funny cards and comforts from home...

Right before Halloween, I got a hilarious card, some cute pictures and some candy corn from my dear friend, Katie! It has been fun to have that Fall staple candy to enjoy at work! Last week, my sister sent a care package with Grace's birth announcement, a cute pumpkin that Luke made at school, some other cards and my FAVORITE holiday lotions and hand sanitizers from Bath and Body. I have loved decorating my work area with the cards and now the holiday season can truly begin since I have my favorite lotions! This week, Katie really surprised me again and sent me two of my favorite things from the Junior League Holiday Mart...flavored coffee and chocolate covered cherries! I always love shopping and volunteering at Holiday Mart, so I was sad to miss it this year...was so fun to get a little taste of it!

I also got a cute and sweet card from my wonderful Aunt Peggy last week, but it made me a little sad. Peggy and Carl are getting married this weekend and I will be very sad to miss this special day in Peggy and Carl's life and I will miss celebrating with my whole family. I will be sending my best wishes to them from Sydney to Lawrence this weekend and will be so excited to see pictures and hear all about it at Christmas!

Thank you again so much for all of the cards, notes and care packages...I am so lucky! Here is a picture of my little shrine to Luke and Grace and some of my goodies and cards at work...















I have also had a great week because I finally feel somewhat back to normal and like I have a social life! Like I mentioned in my last post, several other Americans have started working in the Sydney office recently and it is so wonderful to have other fun people to hang out with! All of the locals in the office are very nice and fun to talk with at work, but they have their normal lives here and don't really want to do the touristy things.

Last Sunday, I hung out with a dating couple that just started over here and we met up with a girl who is here on a 2 week business trip, but is coming here for good in January. We headed across the bridge and shopped around at the Rocks market again. We also went to an awesome place for a late breakfast called Pancakes at the Rocks. This was a concept I had never heard of, but must admit, it was delicious...pancakes with ice cream on them!! I got one called bananarama...2 pancakes, grilled bananas, butterscotch sauce and vanilla ice cream...WOW! Not exactly a healthy meal, but we did lots of walking that day too! On Monday night, I went to dinner with the same girl who is here on the 2 week business trip. She is feeling lots of the same emotions that I felt when I first decided to do this, so we had lots to talk about. I think I helped calm her nerves and I can't wait for her to be here for good in January! For those of you who know Angie Lucas, good friend of the McBride family...her brother works at Cerner and he and his wife just moved over here for his work. I went out to dinner last night with his wife, Lisa and we had a blast! We have a lot in common and I know that we will hang out a ton! So, it has been a busy social week and I am just so happy to have new friends here to do all of the fun things that Sydney has to offer!

I also got some crazy and fun news at work this week. Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays and I have been pretty worried about how I will handle that week emotionally. While I know I will still get a little sad and will miss being with my family...I think my mind will be spinning and trying to take in everything because I will be going on a business trip that week to...Singapore and Malaysia!!! Wow, 2 places that I never thought I would go in my life, but I am so excited about it! So, more new and exciting adventures to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment