Thursday, February 24, 2011

Top 10's

I just got back from one last night out with my wonderful new girl friends in Sydney. After a lovely last day at work and a nice farewell tea, I took the ferry over (one last time, sad) to Circular Quay to meet up with Lisa, Sarah and Erin for drinks at The Argyle, an amazing bar and club that we had been wanting to try out for a while. It was beautiful and the drinks were awesome and I know they will go back and have many more fun times there. Next, we headed to the Italian Village...a wonderful Italian restaurant right on the water in Circular Quay and directly across from the Opera House. Can't think of a better location for my last dinner in Sydney! After an amazing meal, 3 bottles of wine and 'heaps' of laughs later...we all said a teary good-bye. I really can't believe that I have only known these 3 for such a short time...but I know that I will know them and be great friends with them forever! The night was absolutley perfect and I can't imagine a better way to have spent my last night here...

And now, I have 3 Top 10 lists to share...I will try to use lots of pictures and not as many words because words don't do a lot of these things justice...

Top 10 Events/Activities While in AUS (in no particular order):
1. Snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef















2. New Year's Eve














3. Bridge Climb















4. Australia Day




















5. Tap Dogs




















6. Opera House Tour




















7. Hunter Valley Wine Tour















8. Bondi Coastal Cliff Walk (my favorite beach along the walk!)















9. Taronga Zoo















10. Trips to the beach...Manly or Bondi, still can't decide which is my favorite!
















Top 10 Things I Will Miss (again, in no particular order):
1. The water...the beach (see above) and just the gorgeous harbour, in general. As my dad said when he was here...when the sun is out in the afternoon and sparkling on the harbour, it looks like diamonds have been sprinkled on the water! (Pictures don't do the sparkle part justice...)















2. The views...from my balcony, the office...pretty much, from anywhere!
















3. Ferries...if I could use any mode of transport, I would choose a ferry...always! (Pic of ferries in the distance...)















4. Food...the food here is so wonderful and fresh. I will miss all of the amazing seafood, fresh produce, sushi, great Italian and pizza, Thai, fresh juices, great coffee, the WINE, and, of course, even Vegemite!

5. The sunsets...most amazing sunsets I have ever seen!

 















6. Friends...don't know what I would have done here without my new friends!















7. The Markets...I loved visiting and exploring all of the outdoor markets...Kirribilli Markets, Balmain, Paddy's, but especially, The Rocks Markets!















8. Walking everywhere...to work, across the bridge, around Lavendar Bay, to get groceries...pretty much anywhere and everywhere! (Not the best pic, but my first view of the Opera House from my first walk across the bridge!)















9. The accent and language! Obviously, I can't describe the accent on the blog (but love the way they say so many things...Australia, Darling Harbour, Circular Quay, sharks, shiraz, etc), but here are some of my favorite Aussie words and phrases...nibblies, brekky, Happy Chrissy, massive, heaps, How Ya Going?, ta, cheers, pressie. Ugh, so many more, but I am blanking on them right now...

10. The freedom and independence I have had here...I have always been an independent person, but certainly never thought I would move half-way around the world from my friends, family, everything that was comfortable to me. I have so much freedom from responsibility here...the only thing I have to do is go to work. No house, cleaning, dog, yard, etc responsibilities...just work and then whatever else I want to do! I am so proud of myself for the courage and independence I had to make this journey. I am incredibly thankful for the opportunity and it has changed my life forever. I am coming back a different person in many ways!

And now, the things that I am SOOO excited to come home to!!
1. Luke and Grace and all of the love, fun activities and hugs that go along with them...
2. The rest of my family and the trips to my parents' new home in Wichita, long talks and fun activities with my sister, many great dinners and other times with the whole Taylor clan, my cousin, Emily's, college graduation in May and my cousin, Katie's, wedding in August...
3. Being back with my sweet baby, Evie again and taking her on as many walks as she wants...
4. Seeing my beautiful friends again and celebrating babies, weddings, each other with them, as well as being able to talk to them and text them whenever I want to...
5. Being back in my little house and having all of my stuff around me...
6. MEXICAN food...
7. KU basketball and March Madness...
8. Cheaper prices and free things...cheaper groceries, restaurant bills, shopping, etc...free refills, free ketchup with fries (tomato sauce with chips here!), ICE, etc...
9. Getting back to 'normal' activities...going for walks with dogs and friends, running errands, going to movies, getting pedicures with friends, etc
10. New adventures in KC...I have many things that I want to change, do differently, try, etc in KC. In fact, I may just keep my blog going, so that I can share some of my new adventures...stay tuned!

I have pretty much said it all with my Top 10 lists...I have had the most amazing and surreal experience here, have done things I never imagined doing, have broadened my horizon and changed in so many ways. I will no doubt come back to Australia to visit some day and am leaving a piece of my heart here in this beautiful, 'sunburned' country...this Land of Oz...

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post Bec!! I feel like I've experienced Australia with you by reading your blog these last 6 months. When I travel there, I definitely want you as my guide! Anytime you want to explore Kansas City, I'm in. There are so many parts of this city that I haven't seen yet either. Travel safe and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to KC Rebecca! I have absolutely loved reading your blog and hearing about all of your adventures, I hope you keep it going...I would love to get together soon!
    Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loyd clicks Ernzen. I have loved reading about all of your Aussie adventures! I chuckled a little when you said you were excited for my graduation. Can I really be graduating!?

    Great to see you on Saturday night! Hope to see you more soon! Em

    ReplyDelete